Space Center Houston-An Experience Like No Other
There is no doubt, Space Center Houston is an experience like no other. It is a leading science and space learning center and is a must see attraction if you visit the Bay area. Not surprisingly, it is also considered one of Houston’s top attractions and the area’s No. 1 attraction for international visitors. It is also the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center and the only Smithsonian Affiliate in the greater Houston area.
The center features more than 400 space artifacts, permanent and traveling exhibits and theaters related to the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human space-flight program. It’s no surprise that adults and children find the experience engaging. You will find that the busiest times to visit are on weekends, holidays or summer. Tickets can be bought on line to save time.
You can visit Space Center with very easy access from I-45 South or NASA Parkway; Conveniently, it is also located within a short drive from each of our vacation homes:
Don’t miss these attractions:
- Starship Gallery displays the majority of the space artifacts. Inside the Gallery, you can walk inside the Skylab Trainer Module where astronauts first trained for life in space. You even get to touch one of the few moon rocks on earth available to the public inside the Lunar Vault.
- Independence Plaza is part of the Space Shuttle program. The plaza contains the historic shuttle carrier aircraft NASA 905 with the shuttle replica Independence mounted on top.
- The NASA Tram Tour takes you behind-the-scenes at NASA Johnson Space Center. The tram tour visits working government facilities which are subject to availability. Some of the facilities can temporarily close to visitors without notice.
- The Astronaut Gallery contains the world’s most comprehensive collection of astronaut apparel and space suits.
- See live presentations, artifacts, space hardware, displays and other amazing pieces from the orbiting laboratory known as the International Space Station.